The Mobile Ministry Training Course is a four-week, online course available to help introduce any Christian to ministry opportunities using mobile devices (phones and tablets).
Opportunity: Mobile is tsunami, learn how to ride the wave! The majority of Internet access is now through mobile devices. The mobile device presents a unique, two-way communication channel that represents the most important technology available for kingdom advancement!!
- Be at the front edge of a fresh move of God’s Spirit in adopting appropriate uses of mobile technology in a ministry context.
- Have fun learning what innovative Jesus-followers are doing around the world.
- Meet like-minded believers around the world.
- Be a catalyst to help other understand the implications of the mobile revolution as it relates to the kingdom of God.
Course Description: Each week contains both theoretical and practical elements. The only requirement for students is an Internet connection, computer, and a mobile phone (smart-phone or feature phone). You do not have to be online at a particular time. The course covers the following subjects.
Week 1 – An overview of mobile ministry, evangelism and discipleship using mobile platforms.
Week 2 – Mobile ministry in remote and low-bandwidth areas.
Week 3 – The use of mobile video and audio and how to prepare audio and video for mobile phones.
Week 4 – Social media and the basic principles of mobile website design.
You will also be encouraged to develop your own plan for a mobile ministry project in six short steps (two steps per session). The project planning is OPTIONAL.
Course Cost: $40. (Non-Westerners: $20).
2016 Course Start Dates:
February 9, 2016
June 7, 2016
October 4, 2016
Responsibilities: Each week you will:
- Study various readings, web links and videos, please note the videos are optional for those who have the time and the bandwidth to watch them (about 1.5 hrs per week)
- Participate in an online forum where they will answer a brief but important question and will also get to interact with the other students on this course (about 30 minutes per week).
- Research about Mobile Ministry using the Mobile Ministry Search Engine and other tools to investigate a topic (about 1 hr per week).
- Develop and articulate a Mobile Ministry Project Plan using the information you have gathered from all the other activities (about 30 minutes per week).
- Take a quiz to test your knowledge of the material from the week (10 minutes).
You will be able to take this course at your own pace, though being part of a small group or “cohort” is strongly advised to help with both motivation and ideas.
- Basic mobile and computer knowledge (Internet browsing, etc)
- Positive attitude
- A willingness to share your learning in a collaborative environment.
- A passion to learn and apply lessons to life and ministry
- Good “nettiquette”
Downloadable Course Description: MMF_2014_Brochure
Course Text: Your-Phone – God’s Glory
Faculty: The course coordinator will be John Edmiston, CEO of Cybermissions with various lecturers from the Mobile Ministry Forum acting as training facilitators.
Affiliation: This course is affiliated with the Mobile Ministry Forum which is an interdenominational gathering of both evangelical and charismatic Christian ministries interested in using mobile platforms to share the gospel – see www.mobileminstryforum.org
Endorsement: Professor Tom Kuster took the course and used it in an interesting way.